Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying a MAC! Need advice ...
level42
post Dec 5 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Mess.be 19th

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,204

So, in an effort to support mac in all its glory I've set out in search of a good deal for a mac.

I can across one deal on craigslist and I was just wondering if it was a good deal.

Currency = CDN (Canadian)
13 inch Macbook for sale, barely used and in excellent condition. I have only had it since Feb 2008 and there is also a $399 warranty for it that is good until Feb 2011. There are no nicks or damage to the computer.

The macbook has the following features:
-2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
-120GB 5400-rpm hard drive
-Built-in iSight video camera

With the macbook I am also including an apple "mighty mouse" as well as a black zip up case and a power cord.

I have all the original boxes as well as the receipt of when it was purchased.

I haven't had any problems with it at all and am only selling it because I am not using it anymore.

For all of these features it cost me brand new $1875. I am asking $1000 but feel free to make me an offer as long as it is reasonable.

What do you think?

Where else should I look for a mac, I really can't afford one brand new. Any help is appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Dec 5 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Mess.bedlam

Group: *Valued Members
Member No.: 755

My girlfriend has a 13 inch mac book and although she's sitting beside me telling me she loves her mac book, the experience just isn't the same. I really don't know why they build the screens so small. The thing with a mac, when compared to windows, is that you'll never stretch a window to the entire size of the screen, so on a 13 inch desktop, your average window isn't really going to be any bigger than 4 inches in height, not to mention that your dock will take up another inch. If you have a monitor to plug it into and the cables to support it, it sounds like a good deal, other wise, I'd hold out a few more months and save up for something a little bigger. Just my opinion, not sure if anyone else will agree.

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Dec 6 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #3

v5.3 (120206.2120-Phoenix)
Group Icon

Group: Mess Coder / Admin
Member No.: 1

I have a 13" MacBook I use when i'm out and about and for XCode. For anything other than basic stuff its pretty annoying as the screen is so tiny (and I'm used to 2x 24" screens on my Vista desktop)

Why do you want a Mac? You can get much better deals from Dell etc. The novelty of OSX wears off after a bit, and mine wont even let me install Windows using BootCamp either.

The new glass ones are stupidly priced too. Can get similar laptops at double the spec for the same price. Stupid.

+Quote Post
level42
post Dec 6 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #4

Mess.be 19th

Hmm, Well, I was originally attracted to the small portability of the 13.3" Mac, but now I can kind of see your point, I have the 1280x800 resolution on my dell with OSX, and I realize now how I rarely used it compared to my desktop, which had at least a 1280 x 1024 (and my 1920x1080 TV display msn_wink.gif).

I just really liked the design of the MacBook, not so keen on the colour of the MacBookPro.

It’s definitely something to reconsider. My first idea was a 24" iMac, but I then thought it would be too big a bulky, what else would you guys recommend?

I'm looking in about the $1000 range, like Zero1 said, there stupidly overpriced otherwise.

I think the 20" iMacs are ok, what do you guys think? And yes I want the novelty of the Mac, I have been fiddling with the OSX86 project for over a year now, and I've realized it’s not worth the hassles anymore. I'm just going to buy a Mac

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Dec 6 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Mess.bedlam

Group: *Valued Members
Member No.: 755

Well there's always the option of getting a mac mini and using the monitor you use now.

+Quote Post
Russ
post Dec 7 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #6

mess.behavin'

Member No.: 3,843

well i would recommend either an imac or a macbook
the imac has a reallt big screen (even the smallest version) and i definately have enough space for everything, its powerful (photoshop loads in like 5 seconds)
its for most of my use

i also got myself a macbook air purely for the fact that its so slim i can take it to school with me everyday. despite the screen being 'small' theres plenty of space for browsing and word editing.

plus you can always hide the dock, stretch out the windows to full screen, and use spaces.

i think its worth it

+Quote Post
level42
post Dec 18 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Mess.be 19th

Well, I got a Mac, I won't say which one untill I can post some pictures and explain to you the story of how it all came to be. Stay Tuned msn_happy.gif

+Quote Post
level42
post Jan 2 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Mess.be 19th

So, I'm just waiting on my Tiger CD's from apple, Should be here in like 2 -3 Business days, once formatted I'll show you guys msn_grin.gif!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 12:38 AM
2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.