> Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Ben™
post Oct 26 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Mess.betterseekmedicalhelp
Group Icon

Group: Supervisor
Member No.: 14

So, who went out and bought it tonight, like myself, and thinks that this is the final nail in the coffin for the Windows market share? msn_happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jase
post Oct 26 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Jea ● ye ● se

Group: *Valued Members
Member No.: 30

haha you're such a fanboy! pp.gif

I can't wait to be running this on my system, ben can we have some screenies and some details for whats new.. so people who don't know about this can find out and also Update msn_grin.gif

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Oct 26 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #3

v5.3 (120206.2120-Phoenix)
Group Icon

Group: Mess Coder / Admin
Member No.: 1

What a pile of crap this is. Months late for this? Ebay time.

+Quote Post
.zero
post Oct 26 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #4

jrdn hannah

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,914

I wish I had the money to buy this, and a powerful enough mac to run it.

500MHz and 128MB RAM just doesn't seem to cut it these days =/

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Oct 26 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(.zero @ Oct 26 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]171116[/snapback]
I wish I had the money to buy this, and a powerful enough mac to run it.

500MHz and 128MB RAM just doesn't seem to cut it these days =/

Did it ever? pp.gif

+Quote Post
.zero
post Oct 26 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #6

jrdn hannah

Member No.: 9,914

In the days of old pp.gif

My mac was a spare mac, my friend got it for me from his dads office. Someone had stolen all the RAM =/

I was looking through the features of leopard a while back. I really like some of the new ones, like stacks, time machine, spaces and the new look of the dock.

+Quote Post
Russ
post Oct 26 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #7

mess.behavin'

Member No.: 3,843

i want to buy it this weekend... probably wont get around to it though :/

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Oct 26 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Decided to upgrade my iPod too. Going to go and buy a 16GB touch tomorrow morning, hopefully i'll have better luck with it pp.gif.

+Quote Post
Ben™
post Oct 27 2007, 05:17 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(Zero1 @ Oct 27 2007, 03:48 AM) [snapback]171111[/snapback]
What a pile of crap this is. Months late for this? Ebay time.

Still had less delays, and is still a better OS than Vista.

msn_happy.gif

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Oct 27 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #10

Mess.bedlam

Member No.: 755

I plan on getting it from Birmingham some how this weekend. Probably end up ordering it online though msn_confused.gif

+Quote Post
.Egroeg
post Oct 27 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #11

Mess.begoodordie

Member No.: 25,607

How on earth can you stand Mac OSX? msn_confused.gif
Seriously, most of the big companies that I know of use Windows, which is the best OS in my openion... Maybe all of you are trashing it up because it's the best and a product from the richest comapny in the whole world... msn_thinking.gif

+Quote Post
Russ
post Oct 27 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #12

mess.behavin'

Member No.: 3,843

QUOTE(.Egroeg @ Oct 27 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]171131[/snapback]
How on earth can you stand Mac OSX? msn_confused.gif
Seriously, most of the big companies that I know of use Windows, which is the best OS in my openion... Maybe all of you are trashing it up because it's the best and a product from the richest comapny in the whole world... msn_thinking.gif

cos maybe OSX has its pros too?
the reason why most companies use windows is because there was a time when windows was better than macintosh (pre OS X) and hence there was a brand loyalty developed. im not a fanboy, i use both mac and windows, but theres just some things with mac that make life so much easier for me

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Oct 27 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ben™ @ Oct 27 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]171127[/snapback]
Still had less delays, and is still a better OS than Vista.

msn_happy.gif

Less delays? "Redmond start your photocopiers" - Apple. Back in 2003 when apple thought this crap was going to be released before vista. What time did vista ship? This time last year. Game and point.

Better OS? It has nothing new of any use that you cant get with freeware or common sense. Not to mention most of the features have been stolen from other systems such as Windows anyway. My windows desktop runs everything i want and more, my macbook runs next to nothing except the core applications that i require. Good thing my Vista Business install has remote desktop installed on it...

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Oct 27 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #14

Mess.bedlam

Just because [Insert your OS of choice here] works better for you doesn't make it a better OS for everyone.

What are the chances of going to the apple store and finding they they've sold out? I'm not going all the way to Birmingham for nothing.

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Oct 27 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Shoop @ Oct 27 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]171135[/snapback]
Just because [Insert your OS of choice here] works better for you doesn't make it a better OS for everyone.

What are the chances of going to the apple store and finding they they've sold out? I'm not going all the way to Birmingham for nothing.

Of course not. However charging money for what seems like a very minor release (seems like even more small graphical changes even compared to Vista) seems a bit silly.

They had a lot of them instore when I went the other day. If you're going tomorrow or something I can let you know what the stock is like down here when I head off (getting iPod Touch in about 30 mins pp.gif).

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Oct 27 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #16

Mess.bedlam

QUOTE(Zero1 @ Oct 27 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]171137[/snapback]
Of course not. However charging money for what seems like a very minor release (seems like even more small graphical changes even compared to Vista) seems a bit silly.

They had a lot of them instore when I went the other day. If you're going tomorrow or something I can let you know what the stock is like down here when I head off (getting iPod Touch in about 30 mins pp.gif).

Yeah if you could let me know, thanks!

I see what you mean when you say it's pointless to charge for a minor release. Which is why my girlfriend said she didn't need a copy, she'll just stick with Tiger. I think Apple and Microsoft alike will be known in the future for throwing out an OS every year or so simply to make money, which in my opinion is expected as the truth of the matter is that companies (even " msn_angel.gif Apple msn_angel.gif ") generally care more about their profit than their customers.

That being said, there are some new features which will certainly change things for me: Quick Look, Spaces, Boot Camp and the new sidebar features in Finder. Also, the parental controls look brilliant for parents! The remote desktop in iChat looks good too... I know, I know; nothing we haven't seen before.

On the other hand there are some features which seem to be so over-hyped which I can't see much of a benefit in, most of them in Mail: the RSS feed, notes and to-do's. I'm pretty much impartial to Time machine as I doubt I'll be getting an external hard-drive anytime soon.

+Quote Post
Ben™
post Oct 27 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE(Zero1 @ Oct 27 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]171134[/snapback]
Less delays? "Redmond start your photocopiers" - Apple. Back in 2003 when apple thought this crap was going to be released before vista. What time did vista ship? This time last year. Game and point.

Better OS? It has nothing new of any use that you cant get with freeware or common sense. Not to mention most of the features have been stolen from other systems such as Windows anyway. My windows desktop runs everything i want and more, my macbook runs next to nothing except the core applications that i require. Good thing my Vista Business install has remote desktop installed on it...

Apple said that back in '04, at the introduction of Tiger.

Even Tiger had a majority of the features that Microsoft's 'next-gen' OS has today, which was released 2 years after Tiger was announced.. plenty of time to do said photocopying, don't you think?

Leopard is just raising the bar again, for MS to match in their next OS.

+Quote Post
Zero1
post Oct 27 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(Shoop @ Oct 27 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]171140[/snapback]
Yeah if you could let me know, thanks!

I see what you mean when you say it's pointless to charge for a minor release. Which is why my girlfriend said she didn't need a copy, she'll just stick with Tiger. I think Apple and Microsoft alike will be known in the future for throwing out an OS every year or so simply to make money, which in my opinion is expected as the truth of the matter is that companies (even " msn_angel.gif Apple msn_angel.gif ") generally care more about their profit than their customers.

That being said, there are some new features which will certainly change things for me: Quick Look, Spaces, Boot Camp and the new sidebar features in Finder. Also, the parental controls look brilliant for parents! The remote desktop in iChat looks good too... I know, I know; nothing we haven't seen before.

On the other hand there are some features which seem to be so over-hyped which I can't see much of a benefit in, most of them in Mail: the RSS feed, notes and to-do's. I'm pretty much impartial to Time machine as I doubt I'll be getting an external hard-drive anytime soon.

Lots available - doesnt seem to be running low or anything. I do get annoyed at having to pay for these updates that dont seem to be updating a lot really... I have a lot of third party software that does things similar to Spaces, etc so it just seems a bit silly. Even the fact that they seem to mark it as a minor update makes me slightly wary. Time machine seems like this thing that everyone is buying this software for, though for me atlease all my documents are stored on fileshares which have Volume Shadow Copy installed (server 2003, much more settings than time machine too) so it doesnt really seem much use.

QUOTE(Ben™ @ Oct 27 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]171142[/snapback]
Apple said that back in '04, at the introduction of Tiger.

Even Tiger had a majority of the features that Microsoft's 'next-gen' OS has today, which was released 2 years after Tiger was announced.. plenty of time to do said photocopying, don't you think?

Leopard is just raising the bar again, for MS to match in their next OS.

They said it when announcing that the 'new' operating system was coming 'soon' too. Tiger has nowhere near any of the stuff that Vista has, even XP in some circumstances. Leopard just doesnt seem to have anything new or useful in it. I agree with Shoop that it just looks like a +1' (as Vista could be seen) in terms of making stockholders happy.

BTW: iPod touch is awsome. Though... no compattibility with Vista 64bit msn_sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ben™
post Oct 28 2007, 05:23 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE(Zero1 @ Oct 28 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]171143[/snapback]
They said it when announcing that the 'new' operating system was coming 'soon' too. Tiger has nowhere near any of the stuff that Vista has, even XP in some circumstances. Leopard just doesnt seem to have anything new or useful in it. I agree with Shoop that it just looks like a +1' (as Vista could be seen) in terms of making stockholders happy.

Yes, and at the time, that was Tiger. They did it for WWDC 2004.

+Quote Post
timothy
post Oct 28 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Group: Timothy
Member No.: 3

10.5 was complete waste of money in my case compared to the vista installation on my previous pc (thats even older then my mac) comparing the top of the line mac mini g4 with a top of the line pc from 2 years earlier:

1) Speed:
- Vista has minor slow down, 10.5 runs at LOT slower compared to 10.4: Vista

2) Performance:
- Vista on the pc never had a BSOD or driver problem, os-x neither: TIE

3) Features:
- So far vista added lots and lots of features I actually use.. 10.5 only some minor upgrades to applications I hardly use: Vista

4) Restore:
- I've got a mac mini => only 1 drive => no restore in 10.5, vista's restore works, but they really could've used their brains to make it more accessible: TIE

5) Hype:
- Os-x seems to be loved more then vista by a minor part of the world that controls what you love to have by shouting as hard as they can: Os-x

6) Software compatibility:
- Both have their fair share of non working applications that can be fixed by some minor tweaking: TIE

7) UI:
- Both design teams made major errors designing the UI with glass and alpha menu's (or rather make it look pretty): MS-DOS

these are some of the most important changes for me, I know, if you have a G5 or intel mac you will see a performance increase, but with a 3 year old G4 with 1gb ram you are only going to get worse..

Winner: OS2 Warp

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2018 - 01:24 PM
© 2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.