IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chatbot who shows a 'webcam' via code, Anyone ever tried to have a chatbot serve up video chat streams?
Neverend
post Jan 3 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #1

Mess.bean

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,631

Hey all,

First off, I did a search, and the closest thing I found was this : http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=4403&hl=video

So here is my question: I am working on a chatbot for a game, and one of the things I would desperately like to do is have the chatbot (a character in the game) use MSN's WebCam service to stream video to the user - but the video is dictated programmatically... e.g. if the user asks a question on X, the chatbot serves up a file discussing X.

I know drivers like WinPCap can access the streams from the recipients end and record it, but does anyone know if it is possible to access the stream and embed videos into it?

I have searched and searched and searched and cannot find any definitive information on this... anyone tried it? If so, I'd be very interested to talk.

Thanks for the (hopeful) help msn_wink.gif

Neverend
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheSteve
post Jan 13 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #2

The Man from Japan

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,636

How do you intend on implementing your bot? If you intend on writing a client from scratch, (this requires you to understand the various protocols used by messenger.) then you can skip reading from the camera and just generate your image on the fly.
If you intend to use the official client, you will need to do one of the following:

Reverse engineer and hook the routines in messenger that initiate the web camera and inject your own images in to the feed.

or

Write your own web camera driver. If you download the Windows Driver Kit, there should be a sample web camera driver located under AVStream\avshws (this sample is included with the Windows Vista DDK. I have not downloaded the new Windows 7 WDK yet so I don't know if it is still there.)
If you take this method, I would recommend that you come up with a way to allow a user mode application to generate the content to send to the kernel mode driver rather than trying to generate all the data in kernel mode.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2018 - 01:20 AM
2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.