Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Portal, For the XBox 360
Shoop
post Dec 4 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Mess.bedlam

Group: *Valued Members
Member No.: 755

I'd just like to let you all know how freakin' obsessed I am with Portal at the moment. I got the game about a month or two ago, the very day I heard about the innovative game play. Thankfully, valve didn't just leave it there, they built the levels with such quality and so much thought into its simple design. The level design reminds me of the cube for some reason (Which btw, I loved when I was a kid, watched it recently...sucked!). The humour in the game was done so subtly, while still being uneasy and spooky to play. This mixed with a loveable inanimate object with a heart on it, the best behind the scenes areas, the great mind puzzles and more easter eggs than you could shake a dead ferret at, makes Portal officially the best game I have ever played! Better than Mario, better than Gears of war! I've completed this game about 5 times, and I'm craving for downloadable levels or a portal 2!

Here is a link to my pixel art drawing of one of the test chambers I drew tonight!

Has anyone else here played this game? What do you think?

The first person to say the cake is a lie will be euthanized or left companionless! Don't do it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Dec 4 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #2

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,988

I pre-ordered and pre-loaded it on Steam (PC), then on the day of its release played through the entirety of it in 3 hours, then went back and played it all again listening to all the developer commentaries. Loads of fun, even if it did spook the hell out of me for a few days - couldn't go to sleep without GLaDOS' voice going through my head for a while...

Not sure of the legality of this, but: Portal ending credits song.

* Lord d'Eath wants a plush WCC msn_grin.gif.

Edit: I haven't actually verified that above link, it was just the result of a Google search on the topic.

+Quote Post
kapz
post Dec 4 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #3

Mess.beachtowel

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,446

The cake IS a lie.

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Dec 5 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #4

Mess.bedlam

QUOTE(Lord d @ Dec 4 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]172084[/snapback]
I pre-ordered and pre-loaded it on Steam (PC), then on the day of its release played through the entirety of it in 3 hours, then went back and played it all again listening to all the developer commentaries. Loads of fun, even if it did spook the hell out of me for a few days - couldn't go to sleep without GLaDOS' voice going through my head for a while...

Not sure of the legality of this, but: Portal ending credits song.

* Lord d'Eath wants a plush WCC msn_grin.gif.

Edit: I haven't actually verified that above link, it was just the result of a Google search on the topic.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the awesome song at the end, and then recognising it through the radio version when you play it again. Have you thought about getting it for the 360? As I only bought the orange box for portal, but I've played Half-Life 2 for the first time and that's another game I really love! I haven't even looked at episode 1, 2 and that other game on there, and I'm already sure I got my money's worth.

When listening to the commentaries, did you find the voice actress who did GLaDOS a bit stuck up? She did nothing but bitch her way through every commentary pp.gif
QUOTE(kapz @ Dec 4 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]172085[/snapback]
The cake IS a lie.

The cake is right there at the end with your trusty companion cube damn it! If you had put your gun down when asked, you would've got the cake.

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Dec 5 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Shoop @ Dec 5 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]172092[/snapback]
Have you thought about getting it for the 360?

Nope. I'm not going to be buying it on both platforms - not until the 360 price comes down a lot. I paid £28.11 (£26.61 plus a £1.50 "service charge" because the transaction was in USD - thanks, Halifax msn_rolleyes.gif) for it on PC, so I don't really want to be spending another £40 to get it on 360 just for a few achievements (and judging by the only-a-handful that I got while playing through Portal and HL2E2 on PC, I won't get many on 360).

As I only bought the orange box for portal, but I've played Half-Life 2 for the first time and that's another game I really love! I haven't even looked at episode 1, 2 and that other game on there, and I'm already sure I got my money's worth.

Half Life 2 (inc. ep 1 & 2) is excellent, yes. Team Fortress 2 looks good, but I haven't really played it. I don't play a lot of multiplayer games these days.

When listening to the commentaries, did you find the voice actress who did GLaDOS a bit stuck up? She did nothing but bitch her way through every commentary pp.gif

I can't say I really noticed msn_wink.gif

+Quote Post
level42
post Feb 4 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Mess.be 19th

Member No.: 10,204

I got portal for FREE!!! with my video card msn_wink.gif

The game is .... .... ... undescribeable ... from the days of Narbacular Drop to this ... WOW ... its a FANTASTIC idea for a game and hopefully there will be Portal 2 -10 at lease msn_grin.gif! ...

This post has been edited by level42: Feb 4 2008, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
Jase
post Feb 5 2008, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Jea ● ye ● se

Member No.: 30

“Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said “Goodbye” and you were like “No way!” And then I was all “We pretended we were going to murder you?” That was great.”

+Quote Post
ice_king
post Feb 5 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Mess.betterthanyours

Member No.: 9,465

I've got this game on the PS3, and already I am lacking sleep pp.gif. It's really an awesome game, although the coputer voice can be a little irritating from time to time (and where the hell did that cake go?)

+Quote Post
level42
post Feb 5 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Mess.be 19th

Member No.: 10,204

How does it run on the PS3? I heard there were many "Lag" issues ... ?

+Quote Post
ice_king
post Feb 7 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #10

Mess.betterthanyours

Member No.: 9,465

it actually runs perfectly. it's just half life that has a bit of issues at some points in the game. portal runs just fine, though pp.gif

+Quote Post
Ben™
post Feb 8 2008, 06:28 AM
Post #11

Mess.betterseekmedicalhelp
Group Icon

Group: Supervisor
Member No.: 14

Portal is a brilliant game. Haven't played it on 360 though, only PeeSee

Another good game to look out for, is Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I was at the Ubisoft office in Sydney today for reasons related to work, and ended up playing a development version of it for a good half hour. I then proceeded straight to Electronics Boutique after work and pre-ordered it msn_grin.gif

+Quote Post
kapz
post Feb 24 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #12

Mess.beachtowel

What about GOW2? Destructible environment!

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Feb 24 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #13

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

I've seen a hell of a lot of games claim "destructible environment" but all it usually turns out to be is that you can blow up the odd barrel or chair - nothing close to destroying entire walls or buildings that are in your way (and from a development perspective I can see why: how can you constrain where players go if they can destroy anything they like? Normally you can just stick some buildings or something in the way, but if they can destroy them, that won't work).

In other words: I'll believe it when I see it.

Portal 2 has been confirmed by Valve, however msn_happy.gif

+Quote Post
kapz
post Feb 24 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #14

Mess.beachtowel

GOW2: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/853/853510p1.html

And Battlefield: Bad Company will also have destructible environments. http://youtube.com/watch?v=jcV8eVyFTdo

COD4 won't be the best shooter unless they release some kid up updates.

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Oct 23 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #15

Mess.bedlam

I know it's been a while since this topic was last updated but the conversation around here is virtually dead anyway, it beats making a new topic and it's completely relevant because of Portal: Still Alive, released yesterday for the Xbox 360. I'm still as obsessed with this game as I was when I first got it just over a year ago. I can't count how many times I've completed it. So before I go on, I'd better explain what Portal: Still Alive is for anyone who doesn't know.

Portal: Still Alive is the original version of portal, almost exactly how it was on the Orange Box (But I've noticed one or two minor differences they haven't mentioned). You can get it for 1200 Microsoft points (roughly £10). It has an additional 14 challenge maps and new achievements.

Although I already have portal with the orange box I still bought it because of the new level maps and achievements... also I wanted some more cake. These new levels are so much fun. It contains some unique game play problems that aren't included in the original, such as Electricity, cascading ceilings, fizzlers which you can shoot portals through but can't walk through, fizzlers which kill you, storage cubes which need to be distroyed on a regular basis, etc. It's a hell of a lot of fun. So if you guys want to have your cake and euthanize it, but don't want to fork out £39 or how ever much it costs for the orange box, this is definitely worth it. For those of you who already have the orange box, I really can't tell if it'll be worth it for you. There are a lot of complaints about it not having any extra features, but for me, the new maps make it entirely worth it.

QUOTE ('Jase')
“Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said “Goodbye” and you were like “No way!” And then I was all “We pretended we were going to murder you?” That was great.”

Hahah! My girlfriend is always quoting that. One of the best in the game. Up there with "Please note that we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an "unsatisfactory" mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck!" and "That thing is probably some kind of raw sewage container. Go ahead and rub your face all over it!"

Lord d'Eath, did you ever watch that gears of war 2 destructable environment video?

+Quote Post
Joel
post Oct 23 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #16

mess.blangle

Member No.: 233

Oooh I loved Portal, I had it on my PC but back then it was far too slow to play it properly, so I finished it on my 360. It goes without saying though, its just a fantastic game, the deadpan humour was great msn_grin.gif

Wasn't too excited about GOW2. I did like the first one but it got a bit stale, probably from playing it too much..

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Oct 23 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #17

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Shoop @ Oct 23 2008, 02:47 PM) *
[Stuff about Portal]

Yeah, I was round mum's yesterday and she downloaded the trial of it on her 360. Was quite entertaining watching her [fail to] complete each level. She seemed to enjoy it, though. I then loaded it up on my laptop and played through the same 11 test chambers and in all of 10 minutes, instead of the hour it took her msn_tongue.gif

QUOTE (Shoop @ Oct 23 2008, 02:47 PM) *
Lord d'Eath, did you ever watch that gears of war 2 destructable environment video?

I think so. Concrete falling away from walls/ceilings, with iron/steel bars remaining inside? Either way, games have been promising destructible environments for as long as I can remember, and they've always failed to live up to the hype, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - I'd love it if a game actually manages to pull it off sometime, but so far it seems to be limited to "oh, you can smash up a few crates", which isn't quite what most of us have in mind.

That said, I downloaded a Lego map for UT3 which I believe does destructible environments in a big way, and there are a few other maps for UT3 available that do the same. So at least we know the engine is capable of handling that level of destructibility - now we just have to hope that GoW2 will use that capability (it uses the same engine as UT3, remember).

Fingers crossed! msn_yn.gif

In the meantime, I have Fable 2 to play! (msn_heart.gif Play... Arrived at 10:30 this morning - the day before the actual UK release date msn_happy.gif) Yes, I know that it also hasn't been living up to the hype, but the general opinion of it seems to be that it's still a Very Very Good Game. IGN UK rated it 9.5; IGN Aus gave it 9.2; IGN US limited themselves to a mere 8.8. Sounds good enough for me - besides, with GoW2 in a fortnight's time, then Mirror's Edge a week after that, plus Guitar Hero World Tour, 007: Quantum of Solace and Need For Speed Undercover over the next month or so, too, I don't need Fable 2 to keep me occupied for very long msn_happy.gif

Level 3 uni project? Numerous other assignments? I don't know what you're talking about! msn_angel.gif

+Quote Post
Joel
post Oct 23 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #18

mess.blangle

QUOTE (Lord d'Eath @ Oct 23 2008, 05:56 PM) *
In the meantime, I have Fable 2 to play! (msn_heart.gif Play... Arrived at 10:30 this morning - the day before the actual UK release date msn_happy.gif) Yes, I know that it also hasn't been living up to the hype, but the general opinion of it seems to be that it's still a Very Very Good Game. IGN UK rated it 9.5; IGN Aus gave it 9.2; IGN US limited themselves to a mere 8.8. Sounds good enough for me - besides, with GoW2 in a fortnight's time, then Mirror's Edge a week after that, plus Guitar Hero World Tour, 007: Quantum of Solace and Need For Speed Undercover over the next month or so, too, I don't need Fable 2 to keep me occupied for very long msn_happy.gif

Level 3 uni project? Numerous other assignments? I don't know what you're talking about! msn_angel.gif

I'm getting Fable 2 tomorrow! Did you play the first? If so, how would you rate it against the first game?

And I'm also planning on getting mirror's edge msn_tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Oct 24 2008, 06:25 AM
Post #19

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Joel @ Oct 23 2008, 07:10 PM) *
I'm getting Fable 2 tomorrow! Did you play the first? If so, how would you rate it against the first game?

I've only had time to play it for a few hours so far, but I'm impressed by it. I don't really remember enough of the first to compare 2 against it, though msn_sad.gif

+Quote Post
Joel
post Oct 26 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #20

mess.blangle

I'm bad with games, ended up staying up to the really early hours of the morning *and* turning down work to play it.

If I was going to complain about one thing, then it'd be the lack of clothes... there's about 3 or 4 outfits that I can think of, the monk, highway man, bandit and nobleman outfits, and they all look pretty crappy to me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th February 2019 - 06:17 PM
© 2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.