> Looking for some advice regarding co-workers
Shoop
post Aug 29 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Mess.bedlam

Group: *Valued Members
Member No.: 755

Hi guys,

So I work in an office with a sales woman and someone in purchasing. The woman in sales got a call today from someone who told her that she'd left an order with a young lad in the office (I'm the only young lad in the entire building), she also came into the office to talk to me about the order (By the way, I'm a graphic designer, I don't take sales, ever). I told the sales woman that I don't recall any of this and I'm very sure that the customer is mistaken. She rolled her eyes and said to the customer over the phone "Listen, it's not my fault we have incompentent staff here, I'm putting you through to the manager." A little later she had realised that the customer was infact wrong, she had called the wrong company all together. Once she put the phone down I said to her "When you said 'incompentent staff', were you talking about me?" She kept her head down and sat there in silence.

This isn't the first time she's said such things about me, amongst the names in the past I've heard from her (though, through other people) are 'lazy', 'useless' etc. I don't think it's important to the story but I really feel that I'm none of those things, and other co-workers agree with me.

It's bad that she's told (what she thought was) a customer that we have incompetent staff working here. Many other members of staff feel victimised by this woman also, but nobody has ever complained. Here's why: Her husband is the boss.

How do I approach this without losing my job? I know there are laws against kicking me out but I really feel as though they would find a way around it.

Should I ask her to her face again? Perhaps she didn't hear me the first time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dizee
post Sep 5 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Mess.beagle

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,092

Well to be honest, there isn't much you can do really that wouldn't pose a significant risk to your job, obviously if you did then you could get a tribunal together with an unfair dismissal case, but all that does is take time, and like you said, they would probably find a way to wiggle out of it.

Best advice for now is to just stay cool really. At the end of the day, it shouldn't/doesn't matter what people think of you/your ability to work. As long as you get the work done then all should be good.

Obviously though, if it gets any worse then just have a quiet word with her again and ask politely what she thinks she has against you.

Hope this helps, otherwise just call me a noob and tell me to sssh msn_wink.gif

Matt™

+Quote Post
psyko
post Sep 6 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Anti-RIAA Fanatic

Member No.: 345

One rule in business man: the customer is always right, no matter what. Despite who the customer is and how bad you get you're getting chewed out, they are still right (I know I know, but that is the reason why you are hired). You are to represent the company and not your personal feelings. The best recommendation would be for you to just ignore what happened and move on. In your case, I would've immediately called the sales representative in there, as that's what he's meant to do. Things like what happened to you are minute compared with what I have to deal with. msn_happy.gif

+Quote Post
Russ
post Nov 24 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #4

mess.behavin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,843

totally agree with psyko. At the end of the day youre meant to get customers, and if you make the customer happy, you can pay your employees. Let her rant man, as long as theres customers to pay for your services seems dandy to me.

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Nov 24 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #5

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,988

QUOTE (psyko @ Sep 6 2008, 01:51 PM) *
One rule in business man: the customer is always right, no matter what.

http://notalwaysright.com/

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Nov 25 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #6

Mess.bedlam

Thanks for your help guys. But if I remember right, from the tone of her voice it sounded more as though the conversation went:

Customer: I've had this problem...
Sales Person: Listen, it's not my fault we have incompentent staff here.

Rather than the assumed:

Customer: You have incompetent staff.
Sales Person: Listen, it's not my fault we have incompentent staff here.

I suppose I could never be sure. Anyway it's been months now, I suppose if there was anything I could do about that particular situation I've missed the opportune moment.

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Nov 27 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #7

Mess.bedlam

Never mind about this. I've just been made redundant msn_sad.gif Good ol' UK economy. I might not have liked some of the people I worked with but I loved my job.

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Nov 27 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

Ouch msn_sad.gif That sucks. s/UK/world/ really, though; these economic problems aren't confined to the UK by any means.

Hope you can find another job soon - preferably one that you enjoy just as much but sans annoying co-workers.

*still employed... for now...*

+Quote Post
Jase
post Dec 4 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #9

Jea ● ye ● se

Member No.: 30

You are in one huge predicament right now... Ouch!

You can try approaching her and asking her again if she was actually referring to you.. this could lead to a discussion and or maybe a friendship OR.. She can spaz out and run to her Husband.

Just remember... What ever happens happens.. you always have Video Cameras to back you up if she makes up lies msn_up.gif

+Quote Post
Lord d'Eath
post Dec 4 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #10

Web2Messenger Creator
Group Icon

Did you actually read this thread, Jase? msn_happy.gif

+Quote Post
Shoop
post Dec 4 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #11

Mess.bedlam

QUOTE (Lord d'Eath @ Nov 27 2008, 04:37 PM) *
Ouch msn_sad.gif That sucks. s/UK/world/ really, though; these economic problems aren't confined to the UK by any means.

Hope you can find another job soon - preferably one that you enjoy just as much but sans annoying co-workers.

*still employed... for now...*

Thanks msn_happy.gif I've been trying to find a job every day since but it seems nobody's interested at all. I probably won't get anything until the new year, at least. I'm still going to try though.

QUOTE (Jase @ Dec 4 2008, 06:45 AM) *
You are in one huge predicament right now... Ouch!

You can try approaching her and asking her again if she was actually referring to you.. this could lead to a discussion and or maybe a friendship OR.. She can spaz out and run to her Husband.

Just remember... What ever happens happens.. you always have Video Cameras to back you up if she makes up lies msn_up.gif

Thanks Jase, but I've been made redundant since msn_tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2018 - 04:00 PM
© 2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.