IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Live Messenger vs Messenger 7.5, Will WLM destroy the old version?
Jade
post Jan 5 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Mess.beanie

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,967

Hi there, msn_happy.gif

I have a question concerning the Windows Live Messenger - until now I didnīt install it as I am really happy with my ancient Messenger 7.5. It still works fine. msn_cool.gif
Now Iīve seen lots of the friends/contacts I can chat with via my Messenger 7.5 are having Live Messenger... I tried to add them but as I donīt have Live Messenger installed yet, it didnīt work.
My question is - if I install Windows Live Messenger, will it overwrite my old Messenger 7.5? I donīt want to lose Messenger 7.5 as I didnīt like the updated Messengers at all. msn_sarcastic.gif
Is there a way to have BOTH (Messenger 7.5 and WLM) or do I have to make a choice?
Do I NEED to have WLM? If I donīt install it, does that mean that the people who already upgraded to WLM donīt have me on their chat list anymore, as I didnīt upgrade yet? Or can they still see me when I come online and start an convo? msn_thinking.gif

I hope someone can help me on this... thx msn_happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stigmata
post Jan 5 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #2

Mess.betterthanyours
Group Icon

Group: Supervisor
Member No.: 79

You should be able to speak to contacts who use WLM if you are using 7.5 because they both use the same service.

People who have WLM should be able to talk to people who use 7.5 and vice versa.

There should be no difference :/

What problems do you encounter when trying to add new contacts?

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 5 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #3

Mess.beanie

Now thatīs strange... yesterday I couldnīt invite any of my contacts to Live messenger as I got told I need to create a Live messenger account first. Now I clicked on a contact again and suddenly I see "You invited XYZ to Messenger" and "Add XYZ to your profile". And if I try to do this, a window pops up and I can leave a personal invitation message and I can send it off.
It works.
This wasnīt possible yesterday... msn_thinking.gif
I always got the impression I had to create a seperate Windows LIVE Messenger account to add people to my profile... I never could do this, everytime I tried it, I got told to "register for WLM".
Weird. msn_thinking.gif

+Quote Post
AdamVester
post Jan 7 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Mess.beta

Member No.: 11,128

yes u can 2 ways of doing this..

1) download a stand alone msn 7.5 vershion google it u will find one.. just 1 file u launch... just download that install wlm 9 and then use 7.5 from the single file when u want..

2) go to c:/program files/ rename MSN Messenger to MSN Messenger 7.5 then install WLM 9. then go into the MSN MEssenger 7.5 folder make a shortcut to msnmsgr on desktop and rename it to MSN Messenger 7.5 and rename the shortcut that wlm 9 made on desktop to Windows Live Messenger 9 or something.. just makes it look neat..

make sure you load up 7.5 first then u can load up 9.0 after have both running at same time msn_happy.gif or u can just run 7.5 if u want..

but yeah u should be able to add contacts using wlm9 as its same service.. you wont be able to do some of the stuff like view the new animated display pictures on 7.5 as that feature wasnt avalable when it was produced.

hope this helps you.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 16 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #5

Mess.beanie

Thanx, I will try an do that... a few days ago I could send private messages without having been registered for WLM but they apparently never reached my contacts... and today I cannot send pm's anymore now it tells me again to register... so it's all a bit weird. msn_thinking.gif
I think I will try to install WLM and keep MSN 7.5 as well... I hope I can manage to do that. msn_sarcastic.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th February 2019 - 08:07 AM
Đ 2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.