Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Idle vs. Away
databird
post Dec 30 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Mess.beanie

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,905

Ok, I'm just wondering, in regards to the "mess patch", how it can distinguish "Idle" from "Away" users. What does Idle mean? It means they're really away, and not just faking it, right?

Does the Idle thing always work (like does it sometimes make mistakes as to who is Idle or Away)? And how can it tell? Does it base it on whether the computer's mouse has moved or the keyboard keys have been pressed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alexp2_ad
post Dec 31 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #2

Forum Smart Ass

Member No.: 213

Idle means messenger has set the person as away automatically after a set period of inactivity (eg 10 minutes) and Away means they've set themselves to away.

It can tell the difference because messenger has the ability buil in to it, it just isn't used, it labels both states as away.

+Quote Post
Destruction
post Dec 31 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #3

Messenger Air Live

Member No.: 8,397

Idle means messenger has set the person as away automatically after a set period of inactivity

Couldn't have put it better myself.

+Quote Post
desi_babe
post May 3 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #4

Mess.bean

Member No.: 49,326

QUOTE (alexp2_ad @ Dec 31 2005, 01:06 AM) *
Idle means messenger has set the person as away automatically after a set period of inactivity (eg 10 minutes) and Away means they've set themselves to away.

It can tell the difference because messenger has the ability buil in to it, it just isn't used, it labels both states as away.

so are you saying that it is possible for sumone to be ACTUALLY away i.e be idle and msn can sometimes show it as away? in other words, is it possible for msn to show as "away" instead of "idle" when a contact is inactive?
I am asking this because i m using windows live with the PLUS! patch and all the contacts who r inactive it shows as IDLE.... bt recently my bf said he was watchin a video full screen and he didnt see my mesg or didnt touch computer n then he went to AWAY (not idle)....so i am just wondering if he was lying...or sayin the truth

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post May 3 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #5

Mess.beyondanyhealthnorms
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 870

It's a Plus thing. I was just having a look around the options but couldnt find it. It certainly used to be there. You will only appear as idle to other people if they too have Plus installed.

Edit: found it... Plus > Preferences & Options > Messenger > Contact List

As regards your boyfriend showing as away I don't know. The only thing I can find similar is this in the main messenger options but suggests to show as busy instead.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 04:38 PM
2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.