IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the file you selected is not a valid image file. Please choose another file., for MSN 9.0 Beta.
g_unit
post Oct 2 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Mess.bean

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,897

Hi,

I can't change my display picture, can you solve my problem gentlemen ?

And when I change my DP that message has shown:-

{ the file you selected is not a valid image file. Please choose another file. }.

:'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Oct 2 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Mess.beyondanyhealthnorms
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 870

This fix has been known to solve the problem, but not always so I can't guarantee this is going to work. Warning it is a very long process.

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?s=&show...st&p=130252

Also bear in mind the location has since change since the release of WLM, so I will try to give you some instructions

1. Exit WLM

2. In Windows Explorer or My Computer go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab and select "Show hidden files and folders" and also clear the check box for hide extensions for know file types.

3. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\Email\ObjectStore\UserTile (XP) C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Email\ObjectStore\UserTile (Vista)

4. In that folder you will find a load of .dt2 and .id2 files. Copy the contents to somewhere like My Documents or wherever you want to back them up. Then rename the extension on these copies to .jpg. I cannot remember off the top of my head if it is the .dt2 files or the .id2 you need to change the extension. You will soon find out however when you do this. You can delete whatever one it is that doesn't get renamed.

5. Delete the UserTile folder.

6. Open WLM and sign back in, the folder should recreate itself. If not run a repair of WLM through Add/Remove programs.

7. You then will have to add each display picture one by one as you normally would.

Hopefully that will work. Sorry if it doesn't

+Quote Post
g_unit
post Oct 2 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Mess.bean

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand bcz I don't know anything about MSN, so step by step is good option for me girl.

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Oct 2 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Firstly what operating system are you using?

+Quote Post
g_unit
post Oct 3 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #5

Mess.bean

1- My operating system is:- Windows Vista.

2- My MSN:- 9.0 Beta.

and I'm sorry for bothering you girl.

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Oct 3 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

It's fine. We're here to help. msn_happy.gif

Start, Computer.

Then press Ctrl F10 to show the menu bar.

Select "Tools" from the menu bar and then "Folder Options"

Along the top you will see tabs "General", "View" and "Search". You want the "View" tab.

Look down that list and you will see "Show hidden files and folders" and "Hide extensions for known file types". You want to enable "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" box.

In the system tray by the clock, right click the messenger icon and then exit.

Go back to "Computer" and browse to:
C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile

This folder will be full of .dt2 and .id2 files.

Open up your "Documents" in a separate window (or wherever you want to back them up to - I'm just saying documents for ease of me explaining these instructions).

This post has been edited by Natalie.: Oct 11 2008, 08:36 AM

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Oct 5 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Double posted as maximum number of images was reached (I'm sure it used to be 10 msn_confused.gif )

Go back to the "C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile" window. Highlight all (Ctrl A), copy (Ctrl C).

Go to the "Documents" window and paste (Ctrl V - I also suggest you create a new folder to paste these in to so they don't get mixed up with all your documents).

Delete all the .id2 files out of "Documents". They aren't needed. Alternatively you could have just copied the .dt2 files into "Documents". Tip: View the files by details and then sort by file type.

Right click each of the .dt2 files and then click "Rename". Delete dt2 and type in jpg. You will now be able to view the file as an image.

Now go back to the "C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile" window and go up one level so you are in:
C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore

Delete the "UserTile" folder.

From reading that topic I posted above it says sign in and the "UserTile" folder will come back. I'm not sure if this is correct but sign-in to messenger and see if it's recreated. I've always run a repair when this happened to me so if signing in doesn't recreate the folder let me know.

If it has recreated itself try adding display pictures again.

I'll add more screenshots later when I'm back on my Vista computer.

Some one has also bumped a topic where they found a possible reason for this happening
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?s=&show...st&p=169979

This post has been edited by Natalie.: Oct 11 2008, 08:41 AM

+Quote Post
AlluRe
post Dec 14 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #8

Mess.bean

Member No.: 39,296

QUOTE (Natalie. @ Oct 5 2008, 02:37 PM) *
Double posted as maximum number of images was reached (I'm sure it used to be 10 msn_confused.gif )

Go back to the "C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile" window. Highlight all (Ctrl A), copy (Ctrl C).

Go to the "Documents" window and paste (Ctrl V - I also suggest you create a new folder to paste these in to so they don't get mixed up with all your documents).

Delete all the .id2 files out of "Documents". They aren't needed. Alternatively you could have just copied the .dt2 files into "Documents". Tip: View the files by details and then sort by file type.

Right click each of the .dt2 files and then click "Rename". Delete dt2 and type in jpg. You will now be able to view the file as an image.

Now go back to the "C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile" window and go up one level so you are in:
C:\Users\Your Windows Logon Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Your Email Address\ObjectStore

Delete the "UserTile" folder.

From reading that topic I posted above it says sign in and the "UserTile" folder will come back. I'm not sure if this is correct but sign-in to messenger and see if it's recreated. I've always run a repair when this happened to me so if signing in doesn't recreate the folder let me know.

If it has recreated itself try adding display pictures again.

I'll add more screenshots later when I'm back on my Vista computer.

Some one has also bumped a topic where they found a possible reason for this happening
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?s=&show...st&p=169979

i did all of this...and it didn't work...i just ended up losing all my display pictures.
any idea on how to fix it?

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Dec 15 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

That's why I said you should back them up to My Documents/Pictures/USB pen etc. Deleting that folder does wipe all your pictures and therefore allowing you to start from a clean slate. You then have to re-add them like you would when you get a new picture. As I said also I can't guarantee that this still works (not having had the problem myself for an extremely long time) so it's at your own risk that you do/did it.

+Quote Post
spawnroy
post Jan 21 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #10

Mess.bean

Member No.: 39,915

QUOTE (Natalie. @ Oct 2 2008, 01:01 PM) *
This fix has been known to solve the problem, but not always so I can't guarantee this is going to work. Warning it is a very long process.

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?s=&show...st&p=130252

Also bear in mind the location has since change since the release of WLM, so I will try to give you some instructions

1. Exit WLM

2. In Windows Explorer or My Computer go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab and select "Show hidden files and folders" and also clear the check box for hide extensions for know file types.

3. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\Email\ObjectStore\UserTile (XP) C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Email\ObjectStore\UserTile (Vista)

4. In that folder you will find a load of .dt2 and .id2 files. Copy the contents to somewhere like My Documents or wherever you want to back them up. Then rename the extension on these copies to .jpg. I cannot remember off the top of my head if it is the .dt2 files or the .id2 you need to change the extension. You will soon find out however when you do this. You can delete whatever one it is that doesn't get renamed.

5. Delete the UserTile folder.

6. Open WLM and sign back in, the folder should recreate itself. If not run a repair of WLM through Add/Remove programs.

7. You then will have to add each display picture one by one as you normally would.

Hopefully that will work. Sorry if it doesn't

Hi Natalie,

My operating system is Window XP
and I have a Messenger 7.5 installed

I was following your instruction until "Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\Email\ObjectStore\UserTile"....
As I opened the microsoft folder, then double-clicked on "messenger", an error message popped up and says C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger is not accessible.

Can you help me out?

Thank you

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Jan 23 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Now I'm not 100% positive on this but 7.5 may use the old location (see here for instructions on that http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=1...mp;#entry130252 ). I could be wrong however but 7.5 was so long ago I can't remember. I can't think as to why it wouldn't be accessible. The only thing I can think of is are you a limited user of the computer or admin? I don't think that makes much difference though, you should still be able to view the files.

+Quote Post
AronA
post Mar 24 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Mess.bean

Member No.: 40,925

Hey
I have the same problem (WLM 2009, Windows XP Sp3)
When i go to C:\Documents and Settings\MY Session\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger, i have one folder called stuff like 16548410616541351, but nothing in the folder msn_sad.gif

I'm desperate msn_cry.gif

Save me msn_grin.gif

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Mar 25 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

That's the old location from when the associated email address was given a number rather than showing the email address. You want to go here...

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile

Vista:
C:\Users\Windows Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\Email Address\ObjectStore\UserTile (Vista)

I will stress again make a copy of the folders and paste elsewhere like in My Documents before you delete anything. If you don't you will lose your custom content.

+Quote Post
AronA
post Mar 25 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #14

Mess.bean

Thank you Natalie,
But when i go to C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft, i don't have a folder called "Messenger", but only one called "MSN Messenger". And when i go in "MSN Messenger", i have only on folder called 1299931755, but nothing in it msn_sad.gif

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Mar 25 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Are you definitely going to Local Settings first before you go to Application Data?

Application Data appears both in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Username\Local Settings
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Username

The one in Local Settings is the one you want. If you don't go to Local Settings first yes all you will see is MSN Messenger and then a bunch of numbers.

Can I also confirm that you are using XP?

+Quote Post
AronA
post Mar 26 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #16

Mess.bean

Hi,
thank you for your anser, i didn't go to the right directory (shame on me msn_cry.gif )
When i go to the RIGHT directory, i then go to ObjectStore/UserTile, but the directory is empty (seems logical because i have no picture displayed)

+Quote Post
AronA
post Mar 28 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #17

Mess.bean

i solved my problem ! As i saw my folder empty, i asked a friend to send me the content of his directory msn_grin.gif

And it works !! Thank you so much !

+Quote Post
Cipjew
post Jul 19 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #18

Mess.bean

Member No.: 42,267

Ok, things are starting to make sense now. Did you adjust the color points with the CMS controls first or did grayscale come first?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 08:13 PM
2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.