Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Welcome to Windows Live Messenger" one-time popup keeps coming back
twig
post May 3 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Mess.beanie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,855

i keep getting a welcome message every 2-3 days whenever i log into my msn.
it occurs on multiple computers, and i dont know why its happening.

i've tried searching on the forum for an exact quote "Welcome to Windows Live Messenger" but it doesnt seem to let me search because of the word "to" is shorter than 3 letters.

an example of the dialog is shown.
any advice to remove it?
i've unticked "Show Windows Live Today after I sign in to Messenger" checkbox, but i'm quite certain that is an entirely different popup.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pasaway
post May 6 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Mess.bean

Member No.: 41,179

Hmm.. is this like a pop up window asking you to fill out your name? Do you already have a profile? (home.live.com?

+Quote Post
twig
post May 6 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Mess.beanie

QUOTE (pasaway @ May 6 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Hmm.. is this like a pop up window asking you to fill out your name? Do you already have a profile? (home.live.com?

dammit, i didnt realise the image got removed.

i've already filled in my name when that popped up.
then i've declined the offer to browse the stupid new services.
and now this.

direct link to image

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post May 6 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Mess.beyondanyhealthnorms
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 870

Image hasn't been removed. Just seemed to take ages to load. Did for me anyway. I've never seen that pop up before. Yes it is totally different to Windows Live Today. It sounds almost as if it wants you to have a webcam etc installed or actually try out what its suggesting msn_confused.gif . I wonder if logging on to multiple computers is getting it confused? When I first got WLM 2009 I had a welcome to Windows Live Messenger pop up (not this particular one though) come up a few times especially after I logged onto another machine. Went away by itself after the 2nd or 3rd time. It never asked me to browse through all the new services.

What's this thing you had to fill in your name for?

+Quote Post
twig
post May 6 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #5

Mess.beanie

QUOTE (Natalie. @ May 7 2009, 05:09 AM) *
Image hasn't been removed. Just seemed to take ages to load. Did for me anyway. I've never seen that pop up before. Yes it is totally different to Windows Live Today. It sounds almost as if it wants you to have a webcam etc installed or actually try out what its suggesting msn_confused.gif . I wonder if logging on to multiple computers is getting it confused? When I first got WLM 2009 I had a welcome to Windows Live Messenger pop up (not this particular one though) come up a few times especially after I logged onto another machine. Went away by itself after the 2nd or 3rd time. It never asked me to browse through all the new services.

What's this thing you had to fill in your name for?

Ahh, yep the image was slow to load. Thought it was just me.

Hmm, my hotmail account is quite an old one (possibly more than 10yrs ago), so I presume some information may not of been filled out during the transitions.

I think you may be onto something. I always have my home computer online and logged into MSN, whilst I regularly log in and out of the same account with my work computer.

Cheers nat!

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post May 7 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I wasn't sure if it was my internet connection as on this machine it seems to be crawling for the last couple of days. Usually a sign my computer is about to have an argument with my router. I had to refresh the page a few times to get the image to load.

If it's an old account that makes sense as to why you had to fill in details.

Yeah maybe try signing out of your home account and only being signed into your work account. See what happens. You may get the pop up once but shouldn't after that. I've never had it since but then again I've never been signed into 2 locations at once. Also a possible reason is I only have 2009 installed on one machine.

+Quote Post
micke
post Jun 28 2009, 05:46 AM
Post #7

Mess.beanie

Member No.: 12,006

It keeps coming back, is there any solution to how I can disable this annoying pop-up window for good?

+Quote Post
twig
post Jul 5 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #8

Mess.beanie

ok, now another one has appeared
i couldnt care less about these announcements, any idea how to remove them?
theres no option for it!!

+Quote Post
*Nat*
post Jul 6 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I too got that one yesterday. Just exited out of it. Unfortunately there's no way to block them permanently. Not that I know of anyway. They should only come up once in a while though, not constantly. I haven't got it again tonight but that could be because I'm signed on to another machine with 8.5 which doesn't have this drag and drop feature (I'll sign onto the one with 9.0 later and will let you know). I still think signing onto multiple machines is possible the cause of the issue though.

+Quote Post
micke
post Feb 2 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #10

Mess.beanie

Any solution to this? I keep getting this annoying pop-up every other day.

+Quote Post
micke
post Apr 20 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #11

Mess.beanie

I guess the answer is NO.

+Quote Post
twig
post Apr 20 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #12

Mess.beanie

oh sorry, i forgot to reply =\

but you're right.
no, i still haven't found an answer lol

+Quote Post
Boycee
post May 12 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #13

Mess.bean

Member No.: 49,726

Whilst on the topic of these annoying popups...

I recently received two when I logged in, the first was this

then followed by a second dialog of the same size/style for which the possible response was 'yes' or 'no'. Anyone know what this might have been about? I clicked it before I could read it msn_cry.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
King69_666
post May 12 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #14

Mess.bean

Member No.: 49,734

Hello,

I too am trying to figure out how to stop these stupid pop ups. My friend has them almost every single day if he uses his laptop with Win7 and only once in a while when using his PC with WinXP. I wasn't getting these very often but I am starting to get them more frequently now too. I'm sure it has something to do with the live server we are all connecting to as there is no option to stop these. They are all promotional pop-ups from Microsoft, meaning is there are only two ways to block them...

• Edit the code in the client and find what ever calls the server to retrieve the "Welcome to Windows Live Messenger".
  • Stop using Windows Live Messenger.

I vote for #1 cause #2 sucks. Not like you can just block the pop up as it is not part of your browser or even part of Windows. It comes in on the same port as MSN as it is pushed through by MSN. I've installed A-Patch as well as Plus Live but neither of them have this option (yet). Time to go to the A-Patch site and see if anyone is requesting this too!

I've added screenshots cause seriously... who gives a crap about these? msn_sleepy.gif I mean look at the "Getting personal with Windows" screenshot, you can do that in the new painbrush that comes with Win7 or use Photoshop and just paste your head on a cartoon body... wooooo so amazing Microsoft, wish i would have thought of that!!!

This post has been edited by King69_666: May 12 2010, 11:55 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  LiveWelcome001.jpg ( 60.62K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  LiveWelcome002.jpg ( 45.67K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
twig
post May 13 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #15

Mess.beanie

can you get your friend to install some sort of HTTP request logger?

hopefully one of those links can be blocked, stopping the popups

+Quote Post
twig
post Jun 6 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #16

Mess.beanie

I've done a little searching but I dont know enough about hex editing to do any more with this.

The file "msgslang.14.0.8089.0726.dll" contains some strings that may be handy to know.

CODE
STRINGTABLE
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
261,     "Welcome to {61143}"
262,     "Welcome to {61143}"
}

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 04:01 PM
2004-2008 Seb Skuse, mess.be.
MessForum v6.1.4 - created for, and for use only by mess.be.