Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSN Messenger on your mobile device
Mess with MSN Messenger > Messenger Knowledge > Messenger Announcements and News
dwergs
Of the big three, MSN Messenger is the least popular IM service on mobile devices (such as phones and PDA's). What do you think is the reason? Are you a frequent mobile IM user? What are your thoughts?
Zero1
Lack of support.

I had installed a copy of a msn messenger mobile application around 3 years ago for my Symbian phone and it simply didnt work because the ISP for my phone blocked all ports except 80.

I have yet to find a decent implementation of it for my current phone.
Khyshen
Nope, dont care about mobile IM, I think it sucks 'cause it takes too long for the message to be sent blah blah...
Just use my voice2voice on my mobile.
SpikedEffect
I use a symbian based program called IM+ which connects to all IM networks, but to be honest Microsoft should create a program for mobile devices (other than Windows Smartphone OS) so that this can be done more easily, and with 3G becoming more prominent across europe it could work well.
max_ap
QUOTE(Zero1 @ Feb 9 2006, 05:46 PM)
Lack of support.

I had installed a copy of a msn messenger mobile application around 3 years ago for my Symbian phone and it simply didnt work because the ISP for my phone blocked all ports except 80.

I have yet to find a decent implementation of it for my current phone.
[right][snapback]121441[/snapback][/right]

MSN Messenger for Symbian? I know there are third party programs that connect to msn network on symbian, but never seen msn messenger for it. Where have u found it?
Zero1
QUOTE(max_ap @ Feb 9 2006, 10:15 PM)
MSN Messenger for Symbian? I know there are third party programs that connect to msn network on symbian, but never seen msn messenger for it. Where have u found it?
[right][snapback]121550[/snapback][/right]

Third party, IM+ - the same as SpikedEffect.
coldlightning
Ok well i have had MUCH expirience with msn on a mobile device. Back 1 or 2 years ago i got a Nokia N-gage QD and back then there was a problem with my mobile service provider and it let me have access to FREE FULL HTTP internet.

So that allowed me to use any internet program on my phone as it wasnt restricted like wap.

I chose to use Agile Messenger. It was a free fast program for msn, yahoo, icq and others i think. IT WORKS ABSOFUKINLOOTELY FANTASTIC! I was thrilled! Free flawless great msn mesenger on my phone! I could send pictures to my contacts and voice clips and stuff and it was wikid. I could rename contacts so it was easy to see who they were.

It was amazing.. But then the free http internet stopped. So i was pushed back to PAYING for WAP. WAP is a restrictive internet which does not let much stuff work. So yeh there were close to NO wap msn messengers as it really needs full http internet to work properly and good. So yeh I just gave up on msn messenger there. Also because of the ENOURMOUS price it cost.

Since then i have gotten a slightly less intelligent phone however it looks better. The motorola v360. This phone does not support Symbian programs, but just java.

The thing about java programs is that they are so crap! Slow and weird and restrictive. So yeh. Oh but i am going to be using msn on my new phone very soon!!!! I am going to be changeing to optus which allows msn messenger use for 23c every day its used. That is excellent. so now i am going to sum this up.

Why MSN Messenger isn't used much on mobiles:
Smartphones are rare amoung people
Java is slow and crap
The price is too much
Prepaid (so cant use full http internet)

edit- oh and the msn messenger i soon gonna use is not that good lol, but atleast it is an msn. Its java so its quite annoying. Thus not making me want to use it much
Russ
O2 users have free gprs so i use mob.emessenger.net/mobile/
Taylor
mob.e-messenger.net or wap.e-messenger.net

Pretty good HTML ones made for phone, customizable name etc, show nicks and emoticons or show emails if u want.
GWM36
QUOTE(Taylor @ Feb 11 2006, 05:18 PM)
mob.e-messenger.net  or    wap.e-messenger.net

Pretty good HTML ones made for phone, customizable name etc, show nicks and emoticons or show emails if u want.
[right][snapback]122012[/snapback][/right]

Hmm I have unlimited browser with my cell phone. I am able to download the .jar file of MSN but then I have to pay $3 a month.

Anyone know of a way to bypass this cost using my WAP.

I do realize I can use MSN via the WAP though. All data is included in my unlimited mobile browser.

Any alternatives for me for free?? msn_angel.gif
Animefan
QUOTE(GWM36 @ Feb 14 2006, 05:05 AM)
Hmm I have unlimited browser with my cell phone.  I am able to download the .jar file of MSN but then I have to pay $3 a month.

Anyone know of a way to bypass this cost using my WAP.

I do realize I can use MSN via the WAP though.  All data is included in my unlimited mobile browser.

Any alternatives for me for free??  msn_angel.gif
[right][snapback]122460[/snapback][/right]

Oh well its not really the "fake" MSN on net I use on mine.

I am using the REAL MSN Messenger on my Smartphone msn_happy.gif
Much better and faster and really rocks.

I use it more than 5 hours a week, often lot more
Ultima
My bro had MSN Messenger for his Windows Smart Phone 2002
It wasted alot of money msn_sad.gif
wataf
my qprs is very very expensive so I can't use msn on my cellphone msn_sad.gif
TheBlasphemer
I have unlimited GPRS for about 10E every month, so for me it's very easy to get my phone and launch MSN during a boring economics lesson msn_tongue.gif
fondoo
i use IM+ and UltraIM on my nokia 6236.
logix
I barely use IM on my phone. It is too hard to type messages msn_tongue.gif
fry010
where can i get it?
wataf
QUOTE(fry010 @ Apr 16 2006, 11:34 AM)
where can i get it?
[right][snapback]131518[/snapback][/right]

depends which cellphone you have
Zero1
QUOTE(TheBlasphemer @ Apr 15 2006, 12:46 AM)
I have unlimited GPRS for about 10E every month, so for me it's very easy to get my phone and launch MSN during a boring economics lesson msn_tongue.gif
[right][snapback]131360[/snapback][/right]

Bit different to the £1 or 2/MB we have here then :\.
Gaz™
QUOTE(Russ @ Feb 10 2006, 06:43 PM)
O2 users have free gprs so i use mob.emessenger.net/mobile/
[right][snapback]121672[/snapback][/right]

we do??

even genie sim's ?
VRocker
O2 used to have free GPRS (so did tesco mobile) but it finished ages ago i seem to remember. I have 1MB transfer free a month on O2 but i cant use MSN messenger on my xda cuz its blocked which is **** if you ask me. O2 release a mobile that has msn installed but you cant even use it cuz the ports blocked! This is probably the reason why msn is the least popular on mobile devices like someone else said.
hmaster
I use it very very rarely, and its the mob.e-messenger.net one.
~!~Alou$hka~!~
i use messebger very frequently on my mobile in class:P wen im out...
but i sign in via e-messenger.net i dont have msn messeneger installed on my mobile... i dont think it works on siemens M65
Lord d'Eath
QUOTE(Zero1 @ Apr 17 2006, 12:33 AM)
Bit different to the £1 or 2/MB we have here then :\.
[right][snapback]131573[/snapback][/right]

Yes and I had a look around and it seems that the company that does it in NL doesn't offer a similar service in the UK for some reason msn_sad.gif
Nick
i use to awlays use e-messenger, in australia when wap first became popular it was free for most companies, i had optus at the time and i used e-messenger all the time, then when you had to start paying i switched to Virgin Mobile, at the time they didnt have WAP but hey had MMS, i would copy the MMS setting into my WAP browser setting and it would let me use GPRS free, they eventualy fixd that glitch.

Now, im with Three Mobile, i have a 3G phone and Three provide and MSN Messenger you can download and use unlimited for $5 a month. pretty good i guess, they also have Yahoo! Messenger which is the same price.

The MSN Messenger you can download does ort of resemble MSN Messenger 7.x and i guess its pretty ok.
Fuem
oNE WORD ,THE BEST MSN APP FOR JAVA PHONES: MIG33

Google it , Or if you have a MOTO, Email me - Fog_69_@msn.com

I mean This Mig33 Is the Best!!
ѕ т є ν є
QUOTE(Fuem @ Apr 22 2006, 08:01 PM)
oNE WORD ,THE BEST MSN APP FOR JAVA PHONES: MIG33

Google it , Or if you have a MOTO, Email me - Fog_69_@msn.com

I mean This Mig33 Is the Best!!
[right][snapback]132693[/snapback][/right]

not exactly one word heheheh msn_tongue.gif

wen i get my new phone i mite think of getin tht msn_happy.gif msn_happy.gif
Burnz
The price, if it was free i would use it alot more (eg: work)
Jase
http://www.agilemobile.com/ msn_up.gif
Animefan
QUOTE(Jase @ May 21 2006, 06:22 PM)
http://www.agilemobile.com/ msn_up.gif
[right][snapback]136735[/snapback][/right]

Or simply get a real mobile that has windows and built-in MSN Messenger, soon Windows Live Mobile Messenger with voice clips, display pictures, smilies, file transfers like the Windows Live Messenger msn_rolleyes.gif
fry010
i have it now!
mightymesser
I use this on my blackberry
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/im/wlm.jsp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.